1. If you aren’t enjoying writing something, stop!
2. Avoid clichés like the plague.
3. Make sure your characters are realistic.
4. Write what you know or be prepared to spend hours doing research.
5. Make sure you have a good grasp of the language you’re writing in – or an editor who does. Preferably both.
6. Make sure your story has an overall theme and that it’s engaging.
7. Hook the reader from the start.
8. Don’t use a vague word when a more specific word will work.
9. Visualise what you’re writing.
10. Once a piece is complete, edit, edit, edit!